02 September 2010

Sham Shui Po

So I rode on a double decker bus for the first time. I sat on top at the front just like everybody recommended to me, it was cool. I think maybe I was expecting too much, or maybe I need to ride one out of the city. It seemed pretty normal. I was sitting next to a boy from India and he was trying to convince me it was like being in a cable car, but I'm pretty sure he has never been in a cable car because it's not really like that. But we rode the bus to a little town called Sham Shui Po. It was way traditional Chinese. There was a boy with us from mainland China and he said that Hong Kong has more ancient Chinese things than China does because they never got rid of it during the communist movement since they were under England's rule. So in Sham Shui Po there was tons of red and gold and green Chinese signs. It was a cool place, I felt like I was really in China when I was there. It was a mega poor area though, here is a picture of one of the the apartment buildings people live in.
We ate dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant that was absolutely delicious. It was some of the best food I've had since I've been here. I had rice with shredded chicken and there was some delicious seasoning and vegetables mixed in. I am getting really good at using chopsticks. It's tricky eating noodles or jellyfish because they are really slippery, but I can do it. This is the restaurant we ate at. It has a French name because Vietnam used to be French, fun fact I learned. I'm pretty sure I'm learning more outside of school than in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment