12 December 2010

HOT POT

So my dear friend Rebecca Sheng is headed back to Beijing and invited me to her farewell dinner.
We went to a super Chinese place and had hot pot. 
I've eaten hot pot before, but never like this.
This place was up toward mainland China in the super rural part of HK
Three words to describe it? Chaotic. Cheap. Chinese.
I tried to discreetly make a video of the scene, but it was quite a challenge with people bustling all around.










Basically you get whatever food you want from a huge buffet then take it back to your table and boil it in the pot. As shown in this beautiful picture.

Some of the options at the buffet were still alive. 
They aren't kidding when they say they like things fresh here.
I of course didn't try any of the crustaceans that I watched being cooked alive, but my Chinese friends were loving them.




Here are my new favorite friends. I'm way sad I didn't meet the two Chinese girls next to me in the picture until this dinner. They were so great. One was from Indiana, she moved there when she was 7 and the other is from Shanghai but studies in Canada so they both had a nice grasp on Western culture. We had a nice long talk about boys and Asian life outside of Asia.


It was a lovely night, but I did notice that I'm less adventurous when it comes to trying new foods lately.
I think that's a sign that it's time to go back to America. 
Less than two weeks!! Ahh!




2 comments:

  1. You are brave to try those foods. Boiled alive? I think I would cry. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, you will enjoy going back to cheese and crackers for sure. ;-)

    ReplyDelete