30 August 2010

An Afternoon In Mong Kok

Now I know why Utah is considered a desert and what they really invented umbrellas for. There was a HUGE downpour of rain on Saturday. It was way perfect though because it cooled everything down. Even though I got soaked while holding an umbrella it wasn't freezing cold like Utah rainstorms, it was a nice temperature. I tried to take a picture of it, but the camera can't do it justice.
After the rain finally let up I went to Mong Kok. It's a town 2 MTR stations away, but it's a whole different place. There are tons of people. I read in a fact book that Mong Kok won the Guiness Book World Record for most densely populated area and I believe it. It is chaos. There is a street called the Ladies Market and you can haggle with the vendors to try to get a good deal. Of course since I'm American they think I'm rich so they try to sell everything to me for tons of money. I'm getting better at the negotiating thing though, by the time I go home I'll be a pro. I bought some way cute knock off vans that are red for 100 HK$ so like $12 in America. Here are some pictures of Mong Kok.

Also I tried some typical Chinese food. So far I've mostly just had sandwiches and stuff, but then when I was in Mong Kok I thought it would be a good idea to stop at a place that sold what looked like smoothies and fruit drinks. I got a peach juice with gelatinous rice balls in it. I wasn't too worried about the description because before I came to Hong Kong some ex-Taiwanian (Corey) introduced me to gelatinous rice balls. Only the ones in this drink were way tiny and the straw was huge so I basically got a mouth full of rice balls with every sip. It was okay, not my personal favorite but definitely something I could get used to. Then for dinner later I ate this: 
  
Yum! Actually it really wasn't too bad. The green stuff was bad, but the noodles were good and the meat was edible. The most challenging part was eating it with a ladle and chopsticks. I'm really not too bad at using chopsticks, but when it comes to noodles... forget it. I can barely eat those with a fork. I finally gave up when my food was half done because I couldn't handle the slippery noodles any longer. I probably could have asked for a fork but I hate doing way American things like that so I just sucked it up. Ordering there was tough too but luckily I was with my new American friend who speaks Cantonese so she just translated for me. Such a nice day. I'm sure I'll be back to Mong Kok often.

No comments:

Post a Comment